Why Changing or Re-Keying Locks is Necessary for Maintaining Your Premise Security
Apart from emergency calls regarding a lock-out, lock-in, lost key situation, as well as new lock installation; locksmiths also get frequent requests from customers pertaining to changing their locks or re-keying of locks.
Both these conditions are different and are applied in different situations. The locksmith will assess the situation, premise security conditions to determine whether customer needs to re-key or replace locks. In fact, most of the customers do not understand or are aware of the difference between these two. Therefore it is important that you must hire a professional, licensed and reliable locksmith who can give insightful information about these two options and suggest you the best one, keeping in mind all the factors.
Importance of re-keying or changing locks for maintenance purpose
Both are highly significant for premise security maintenance purpose, and needs to be looked upon at regular intervals, to maintain heightened security of the premise, and thwart any possible break-in danger.
- When re-keying locks, the locksmith does that by removing the lock cylinder and the pin, and replaces them with new springs & pins, which subsequently gets locked and unlocked with a new key. This is why it is called re-key locks. This is done when the locksmith analyses and determines that the lock is not totally malfunctioned and can be easily re-keyed to work and operate efficiently.
- When re-keying, the locks are usually lubricated, and this ensures that the lock will function much better than before.
- Re-keying is done to maintain key control, as like when the possession of the property is changed, as the homeowner do not want any other person to have access to the property.
- Many properties in builder communities have construction master keyed locks, where the locks have master pins. By re-keying, these master pins are removed, and therefore it eliminates any chance of these locks to be operated upon by other keys.
- Re-key locks helps to maintain the key control, without going for a full lock replacement and installation. But you need to be fully assured of efficiency of the locks after re-keying. Therefore, always consult fully with the locksmith regarding this option. If there is a slight danger, then replacing locks will be a better idea.
- When you or the locksmith finds that the lock cannot be re-keyed and has malfunctioned, then it is better to change locks.
- Locks, over time, wear and can be at a point where re-keying also would not help it function efficiently. At this time, it is always suggested to upgrade your security by going for a lock replacement.
- Sometimes, people go for lock replacement because they are looking to upgrade to smart locks, or digital ones, to enhance their premise security.
- Apart from the safety need, people also change locks for accommodating disabilities as well as for aesthetic reasons.
For full protection of your premise and assets, it is necessary to regularly maintain your security features, and re-keying or changing locks is one of the important factors which you must follow, to keep your security establishment up-to-date and efficient. Consult your locksmith service provider comprehensively to determine the best option for your property and get your new home keys to ensure complete premise safety and peace of mind.